- Interesting Cases
- Toxoplasma Retinitis Ref No:-11-02103
Toxoplasma Retinitis Ref No:-11-02103
- 11 yr old female, presented to us with reduced vision and seeing black spot in front of the right eye since 3-4 days.
- Examination showed visual acuity of 6/36, N18 in the right eye and 6/6, N6 in the left eye. Slit lamp examination and IOP were normal in both eyes. Fundus examination showed vitreous haze in right eye with an active choroiditis patch at the macula, giving a 'headlight in fog' appearance.
- She was diagnosed as toxoplasma retinitis, even though blood investigations showed normal counts, and toxoplasma titres (IgG & IgM) too were negative.
- She was started on T. Clindamycin 150mg BD, with tapering dose of oral steroids T. Wysolone few days later. She received 20 mg of oral wysolone for 1 week, followed by 10mg for 2 weeks, and 5 mg for 1 month. T clindamycin was continued for 2 months.
- Her vision in right eye improved to 6/9, N6 within 2 weeks, and she regained final vision of 6/6, N6 within a months time. The choroidits patch healed well.
- This case illustrate typical toxoplasma retinitis presentation